dinsdag 25 augustus 2026

John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley

Hi everyone

As a longtime fan of John Steinbeck’s works, I had high expectations for Travels with Charley. I got my copy from Bol.com.

"To hear the speech of the real America, to smell the grass and the trees, to see the colors and the light—these were John Steinbeck's goals as he set out, at the age of fifty-eight, to rediscover the country he had been writing about for so many years.
With Charley, his French poodle, Steinbeck drives the interstates and the country roads, dines with truckers, encounters bears at Yellowstone and old friends in San Francisco. Along the way he reflects on the American character, racial hostility, the particular form of American loneliness he finds almost everywhere, and the unexpected kindness of strangers."

This was a wonderful book. Travels with Charley was written as non-fiction, but it has since been debunked as pure nonfiction; it’s more like "embellished non-fiction". And I really don’t care either way. I’ve never been to America, and I wasn’t alive in the 1960s. Plus, Steinbeck is a writer, so I guess it’s kind of expected of him to exaggerate, embellish, and change a few things?

I loved the look into the day-to-day American life in the 1960s. Steinbeck’s observations of the bears, the giant trees, and the people he meets are vivid and engaging. His reflections can be quite inspirational and philosophical, offering a thoughtful, introspective view of the country and its people. He has so much insight into the people, the country, cultural opinions, and nature.

I was also touched by Steinbeck’s love for his wife. It was really sweet how many times he mentions her and how often he says he misses her. It’s nice to get to know him a little better as a person, and Charley is just wonderful, truly a delightful companion throughout the journey.

But there were also very boring and pointless parts. Some sections felt slow or unnecessary, and I was eager to get back to the more engaging moments. The pacing throughout felt very uneven.

Have you read Travels with Charley? Did you enjoy it as much as I did, or did you find the slower parts as challenging? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading!
Helena 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten