Hi everyone
Magic Gifts is a novella in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. This story is set between Magic Slays and Magic Rises. I read this on my e-reader.
"Dinner date after a hard workday should be heavenly. Of course, dates between the Beast Lord and Kate Daniels don’t always go as planned. Undead run amok, heads are chopped off, lawyers are deployed with extreme prejudice, and drunk vikings call people out."
As a novella, Magic Gifts didn’t quite work for me. I truly feel this should have been a full-length novel. The story started out great; we love these characters, the world, the magic, and the creatures. The plot was fun and entertaining, but when I reached the two-thirds mark, everything went too fast.
It felt as though the authors suddenly realized they were writing a novella but had too much going on, so they had to cram everything into the last 40 pages. The pacing suffered, and the story ended up feeling rushed and incomplete.
Despite its flaws, Magic Gifts added a lot to the overall universe Ilona Andrews created. The world-building, character dynamics, and magical lore are all as compelling as ever. I enjoyed it a lot; it was just too rushed to fully appreciate.
Have you read Magic Gifts? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Happy reading!
Helena
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten