Hi everyone
Cursor's Fury is the third book in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. I read this on my e-reader.
"When the ambitious and ruthless High Lord of Kalare enters into a dangerous alliance with the Canim, bestial enemies of Alera, and treachery destroys the Aleran army's command structure, an inexperienced, young Tavi of Calderon finds himself leading a poorly equipped legion that is the only force standing between the Canim horde and Alera's future."
While the Codex Alera series is nothing groundbreaking, it is an entertaining read. However, Cursor’s Fury suffers from being way too long. The events in these pages could have been condensed by at least 200 pages. Even the battles felt drawn out, and the whole book dragged its feet. So, while Jim Butcher’s writing is engaging and entertaining, the story itself felt slow and tedious.
Tavi has finally grown up in this installment. He’s done with the constant whining, and I’m so glad for that change. His growth is expected and well-executed, but it still feels unbelievable how he’s always the one coming up with clever plans to save the day, and how they always work out perfectly. It stretches credibility a bit too far for my taste.
Getting the backstory of Isana and Fade was wonderful, and I really loved the way their story is unfolding; except for Isana healing Fade for over a month while she could have saved thousands of soldiers just outside her door. Very questionable decision. I am done with reading about the amount of sex Bernard and Amara are having and their infertility issues. Both topics are mentioned far too many times, and they add little to the story.
Kitai was more palatable in this book. She’s less of a presence in the story, so her sense of superiority was less aggravating. However, her "bonding" with Tavi still makes no sense to me. It feels forced and unearned.
I’m questioning whether to continue this series. While there are moments I enjoy, the pacing issues and repetitive elements are starting to weigh on me.
Have you read the Codex Alera series? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Happy reading!
Helena
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten