Hi everyone
Norse Mythology is a novel by Neil Gaiman, where he retells the stories of the Norse gods in his own unique way. I read this on my e-reader.
"Neil Gaiman, long inspired by ancient mythology
in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction, presents a bravura
rendition of the Norse gods and their world from their origin though
their upheaval in Ragnarok.
In Norse Mythology, Gaiman
stays true to the myths in envisioning the major Norse pantheon: Odin,
the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin’s son,
incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki—son of a
giant—blood brother to Odin and a trickster and unsurpassable
manipulator.
Gaiman fashions these primeval stories into a
novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds
and delves into the exploits of deities, dwarfs, and giants. Through
Gaiman’s deft and witty prose, these gods emerge with their fiercely
competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to duping
others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making
these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again."
I’ve always loved Greek mythology. As a teenager, I read countless books about Zeus, Hera, Hades, and the rest of the pantheon. I also enjoyed Roman mythology, but my knowledge of Norse mythology is sparse. Of course, I know the obvious gods and stories, but not much beyond that.
So, finding this book about Norse mythology by Neil Gaiman was a happy discovery. And happy it was indeed, because I really enjoyed it.
The book was easy to read and very accessible. The characters felt real, the writing was engaging, the pace was good, and it was a really well-balanced mix of action and descriptions. The way the stories were structured chronologically made it very easy to follow along with all the characters.
Obviously, the stories aren’t Gaiman’s original work; these are existing myths he wrote down in his own words, so there’s nothing new here. If you’ve read other works about Norse mythology, you won’t find anything new in this book. But for someone like me, who only knew the gods’ names and characteristics, this was a great introduction.
Have you read Norse Mythology? Can you recommend me other books on Norse mythology? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Happy reading!
Helena
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten