dinsdag 28 juni 2016

Terry Pratchett: Snuff

Hi

Snuff is Terry Pratchett’s 39th Discworld novel.
My copy has 476 pages.
You can find all my Terry Pratchett reviews here and my Discworld reviews here.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.
And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.
He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.
They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.
But not quite all...”


Snuff is a wonderful book.
The story starts and ends slower than his other books but I didn’t care because the slower parts only meant more pages to tell the story. Something I can only applaud. Wholeheartedly.

Sam Vimes and his family life really made this such a wonderful book. They’ve always been some of my favorite characters and especially since the birth of Young Sam they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. There is so much love between them. Not in the dramatic way but in the knowing one another so well, not having to say anything to understand each other, the jokes they share,... Like I said; all warm and fuzzy.

As to other characters; Feenie is great and he added a lot of fun and interesting ‘philosophical’ discussions. The Goblins are amazing too. No one else than Terry Pratchett could make me care about creatures like them. And Wee Mad Arthur is hilarious.

The moral or critique is a bit too straightforward for my liking but I’ve got a feeling that all of Pratchett’s latest stories are a bit less subtle then they used to be. It didn’t bother me but it’s not really something I enjoy when it’s that obvious.
Snuff is a really entertaining read and I enjoyed it a lot.

5 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten