donderdag 30 juni 2016

Kat Richardson: Greywalker

Hi

Greywalker is the first novel in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson.
I borrowed this copy from my father and it has 341 pages.

“When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.”

I had to do a bit of a reading sprint to finish this one before the end of the month. 

                                *    SPOILERS    *

I didn't enjoy this book.
So basically, this review will be a list of things I did not like about it.

The book was published in 2006 but it feels so much older. It’s not like I’m techsavvy but Harper is an ignorant noob. I found that to be very unrealistic, especially for someone her age and with her profession. How can she not have a cell phone for example?
I didn’t care for Harper herself. She is a coward, slow on the uptake and it takes her for EVER to accept the paranormal and her ‘powers’. It’s right in front of her. She experiences it. And still she refuses to accept it for what it is. Scene after scene about how she’s not accepting it. Come on. No-one wants to read that. Just pull yourself together and get on with it. I thought (at the beginning) that she was a strong woman, but she quickly proved me wrong.
And then, suddenly she’s meeting with a bunch of vampires while she still isn’t sure what to think of her ‘powers’. That’s weird and contradictory.
The giant infodumps made me lose concentration, they’re so boring.
I’d rather read more about her powers and how she grows into them than this doubt and drama.
The plot is very predictable.
The action scenes are always the same, there’s no variety. Harper is experiencing all of it and not taking an active part in these scenes.
And finally; I didn’t care for the subplot with her boyfriend.

Oh, one question: can everyone that’s been revived become a Greywalker? Because if so, there must be more than a few Greywalkers around. That’s never touched upon.
Greywalker is a very easy to read, but boring book.

1 STAR

Happily reading my next book.
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten