dinsdag 21 juni 2016

Ben Aaronovitch: Rivers of London

Hi

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch is a book I borrowed from my father. He is collecting the Peter Grant series and I wanted to try the first one of the series to see for myself why he likes it so much.
The copy I read has 392 pages.

“Meet DC Peter Grant. He will show you his city. But it's not the capital that you see as you make your way from tube to bus, from Elephant to Castle. It's a city that under its dark surface is packed full of crime. And of magic. A city that you never suspected…
Grant’s story starts when he tries to take a witness statement from a man who was already dead. And take him down a twisting, turning centuries' old mystery that reckons to set London on fire...”

                                *  SPOILERS  *

Rivers of London was a really enjoyable read.
At first I thought it would be very much alike The Dresden Files and it is, just not as much as I had thought.

The premise isn’t entirely original or new but the story gets different enough to make it interesting, entertaining and fun to read.
It starts a bit slow because we have to get to know the characters but it picks up and the story becomes very exciting and surprising.
By the end (when Nightingale is out) the book dragged it bit more. I liked the interaction, the teacher/student thing and the Old English Nightingale so I missed him a bit.

There’s lots of action, great worldbuilding with the magic lessons and the setting of the book in London is just perfect. Having been in London quite a few times, I felt like I could run with Peter and find my way to every spot he mentioned. That was so much fun to read.

The personifications of The Thames were a very nice and unique addition to the cast of characters. I liked the characters a lot. They are realistic; imperfect, flawed, and quite unique.
I particularly enjoyed reading about Peter’s views on being a copper and his own race.
Peter and Lesley question everything he (Peter) learns about magic and those scenes were very well executed; they weren’t giant, tedious infodumps.
I don’t really like his attitude towards women but that seems to be a recurring trope in novels of this kind (f.e. The Dresden Files)
The references to Blackadder, dr. Who, Tolkien, Harry Potter etc. made me smile a lot. 

4 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten