donderdag 17 juli 2014

Hugh Howey: Wool

Hi

Wool is the first novel in a trilogy by Hugh Howey. Actually, Wool consists of five parts in a series of nine called Silo.
I bought my book in the Fnac it has 540 pages.

“In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo.
Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations.
But some people choose not to conform.
These are the people who dare to hope and dream.
These are the dangerous ones.
Jules is one of these people.
She may well be the last.”

I flew through this novel, I loved it that much.

Wool tells the story of some of these dangerous ones and their questions and search for answers about their world.
To tell you more would be to give you spoilers. I don’t want you to know more then this when you start this novel because it’s amazing and you will be surprised. Even the small things; details about their daily life should be discovered while reading.

Howey did a phenomenal job building the world in the series. He gave a lot of thought to details and to the world all-round. I could feel myself in there and I love it when a writer does that. Because of his eye for detail the world feels real.
The silo is massive but at some points I felt claustrophobic, I could feel the closeness, the heaviness and the oppression.
Amazingly descriptive prose, fast and unexpected plot developments, a thoroughly built (disturbing) world, a compelling story and deep concepts, everything I want in a Dystopian novel.
As a reader I was surprised and intrigued by some of the twists. Occasionally, we get some information about the silo and the world outside, but we discover everything together with the characters.
The characters are very realistic. They have flaws and that makes them closer to us, the readers. Howey put a lot of thought into them, they don’t blend together, and every character had his/her own unique voice. the writer isn’t shy; he easily kills some of the characters and he puts them through horrendous events.
There were moments where I didn’t feel emotionally invested but that’s because of the technical stuff. When I just accepted whatever they were doing it was fine.
And NO melodrama whatsoever. I love him.
One question though. Why is there no elevator? 150 stories and no elevator? WHY? The 50 year-old mayor has to descend and climb 150 stories to go and find Juliette. That’s not realistic even if it is to save on energy.

I’m really looking forward to the second part. It’s supposed to be a prequel and it should explain why this all came to be.

Happy reading!
Helena

Afternoon snack.:)