maandag 14 juli 2014

Erin Morgenstern: The Night Circus

Hi

Due to a rainy Saturday and Sunday, I was able to finish this novel in no time even though it has 496 pages. I ordered my copy from bol.com. The Night Circus is Morgenstern’s debut novel.
Do I even have to mention the cover art? It is so GORGEOUS!

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”
Le Cirque des Rêves is only open at night. Celia and Marco, two young magicians, have been trained since childhood to compete against each other by creating the best, most wonderful, imaginative and amazing attractions in the circus. But only one of them will survive this contest.

First of all, Celia and Marco fall in love. No surprise there. Luckily, Morgenstern doesn’t give us an overdose of this love because if there is one thing I hate in novels and movies, it’s melodrama.
The story has flaws, it’s not perfect but I was enchanted by it and here’s why.
It has beautiful prose, an elegant story, making it a truly compelling, mysterious and wondrous novel, vividly, dreamlike and imaginative. Truly beautiful and amazing use of words.
But the characters lack depth. The third-person narrative prevents the reader from identifying with the characters. We don’t get to know the characters, their thoughts and feelings are hidden from us most of the time.
The story is told from multiple POV’s and is confusing because of that.

I felt like I was watching an amazingly magical movie, but I wasn’t taking part in it. And I like to be part of the story, to feel like I’m really there.
In some places the story drags and I felt the plot lacking. But the circus, magic and love make this a truly enjoyable and enchanting read.If you care about the prose and not only about action, then I really recommend this novel.

Happy reading!
Helena

Tea, homemade pie and a book. Life can be good.