woensdag 18 september 2024

N. K. Jemisin: The Killing Moon

 Hi everyone

Well this book took me a long time to finish reading. I loved N. K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth series so I was very hopeful for this story but it really fell short.

The Killing Moon is the first book in the Dreamblood duology. I got my copy from Bol.com

"In the ancient city-state of Gujaareh, peace is the only law. Upon its rooftops and among the shadows of its cobbled streets wait the Gatherers - the keepers of this peace. Priests of the dream-goddess, their duty is to harvest the magic of the sleeping mind and use it to heal, soothe...and kill those judged corrupt.
But when a conspiracy blooms within Gujaareh's great temple, the Gatherer Ehiru must question everything he knows. Someone, or something, is murdering innocent dreamers in the goddess's name, and Ehiru must now protect the woman he was sent to kill - or watch the city be devoured by war and forbidden magic."

The story was sooooo slow. And not because there was amazing worldbuilding or the characters had wonderful depth. I still had a lot of questions about the magic and the world that were left unanswered. The characters stayed very much the same, I felt like they didn't grow or develop much past the start of the novel. And there wasn't much depth to them to start with.

Because I loved N. K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth series so much I will try something else but it will not be the second book in this duology.

Happy reading
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten