donderdag 29 januari 2015

Nathan Filer: The Shock of the Fall

Hi

I’m back with another review. This one is about The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer.
It has 314 pages and I got it from bol.com.

 “I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.”

A very short and intriguing blurb. It got my attention for sure.

Filer’s use of different fonts, the childlike drawings, the lack of details in the past, the references to the past and the inconsistent thought process made me feel like I’m sneaking around and reading someone’s diary. It is perfectly done.
The characters are wonderfully done; they feel so real you can just see them.
Reading about family life before and after Simon’s death and about their involvement in Matt’s health (especially his Nan) was heartbreaking.

The Shock of the Fall is a gripping, deeply moving and very honest story. BUT, it is not a sentimental story; it’s not overly dramatic or sad.
Filer writes realistic but he handles things with great sensitivity. His own outrage at the system comes out through Matt.

I would have liked more information about his mother and her problems but it fits into the story to not tell us everything.

I will definitely read this one again. It is very beautiful and it stays with you for a while.

Happy reading.
Helena

It'll be an early night.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten